Recently, I’ve been working on selections for our first spec in over 2 years. I’m very excited about some newer trends that I can’t wait to implement in our Parade Home entry coming up in April. Here are my favorite five things in the Building industry as we enter the new year.
1. Free-standing tubs– Although not new to industry, free standing tubs have really blossomed more recently and I believe will begin to replace the traditional whirlpool tubs in the upcoming year. Free standing tubs are now more readily available and come in a variety of styles, finishes, and price points. The “exposed” plumbing gives the tub character and function.
2. The color GRAY is my absolute favorite thing for this upcoming year. And gray is not just for wall color, it will be seen in everything from cabinet finishes, to hardwood finishes and everything in between. Varying your gray tones from more taupe tones to more cool grays can still give you many decorating and accent options. My favorite gray item is going to be to accent all my interior doors & fireplace trim with a dark charcoal gray while keeping walls, cabinets, and tiles varying shades of more subtle gray tones. Gorgeous!
3. Chrome is back! With all these beautiful gray tones available, chrome light and plumbing fixtures, door hardware, etc. blend beautifully while giving a more modern flair. This chrome pendant light is a great example of blending classic with modern appeal. I predict chrome will surpass the bronzier finishes in 2013.
4. Several of the top Appliance manufacturers have attempted to come up with some new finishes to help support the new kitchen trends. Whirlpool has a new line of Ice finishes that gives a more sleek look for white, black, and stainless. My personal favorite is GE’s new slate finish that is a gorgeous matt gray but right now only comes in free standing models. I am hoping they will expand to all lines soon.
5. The blending of styles is going to be very popular this year especially in Kitchen and Bathrooms by combining a tradition style with a modern flair. You will see this in Kitchens with white cabinets & traditional subway tiles combined with modern accents like door hardware & plumbing fixtures. The possibilities are endless.
Be sure to check out all my favorite things in our Parade Home in April. Meanwhile, get a sneak peak on our Pinterest & Houzz sites.